Sunday, February 13, 2011

Laughter for the Heart




Right after it seems like we have all recouped from one heck of a head cold, something much more hideous comes along. . . head lice!!! No, we DO NOT have it in our home, but it is running rampant through the schools here and I am extremely paranoid about getting it. In an effort to shield us from these hideous creatures I have been requiring the household to add a daily dose of tea-tree oil to their beauty regimes.

When you live in Scott Valley, tea-tree oil is not something you can just run down to the store and pick up. No, in fact I had to make several phone calls before I found someone who had a little in their home. I decided to take their bottle and replace it when I made the "big trip" into Yreka.

Not only is tea-tree oil hard to find in our immediate vicinity, but it's also hard to find in Yreka. The only place that sells it is called "Nature's Kitchen". Suffice to say , the name pretty much speaks for itself. It is very "natural". Bradley has never been into this establishment, but because of who my parents are (God love them) I have been a regular since I could walk. Needless to say, once you enter the store you are immediately enveloped in incense, natural foods, various pieces of spiritual guidance, plants, potions, elixirs, bran muffins, bald men in white linen. You get the idea. Well I head on into the place without breaking stride, meanwhile my poor husband and son are trapped in the threshold just trying to take in the entire surroundings. Carter really didn't seem that bothered by the change in scenery at all, in fact when we left I asked him if it was like Nene and Biyah's house, and he said "Yesh".

While I am trying to make my tea-tree oil purchase, I also decide to have a smoothie. Being as now I have gestational diabetes, I thought that the natural place could satisfy my cravings in a healthier way. Bradley ordered a smoothie too and Carter opted for the carrot cookie. While we were waiting on our treats, Carter began taking in everything at eye-level. As it was the weekend before Valentine's, there was quite an array of au natural semi-erotic material for viewing pleasure. Carter kept pointing at naked pictures of Adam and Eve asking, "Daddy, what's this for?". Bradley just calmly replied, "decoration, look at the plants". We thought the semi-nude photos were the worst until we looked over and saw Carter copping a feel on the boob of a wooden sculpture of a pregnant woman. Again, he asked , "What's this for Daddy?" and Bradley replied, "It's de-cor-a-tion", while turning a terrible shade of red. Needless to say, Bradley and I just couldn't get out of there quick enough, but Carter on the other hand, could have stayed for hours.

We got to the truck and tried out the smoothies. Bradley and I almost gagged - they were WARM and Bradley says the banana was probably "beyond banana-bread ready". However, when I passed it to Carter he said "Yum, thank you mommy!"

Although all of this rambling is quite funny, I have to admit that I have learned a little lesson about Carter. While we are so concerned about how he'll react to something "weird, or different", he seems to be as cool as a cucumber and totally accepting of differences. Case in point, we went to eat with my parents on Sunday and a man with downs syndrome was fascinated with Carter. Carter was again, as cool as a cucumber and welcoming in communication.

I hope that my son will stay like this forever. He is so pure in his thoughts and welcoming with his heart, which is so appropriate in light of the coming holiday of St. Valentine's Day. I love you Carter, for so many reasons, but especially because of your generosity of heart!

5 comments:

  1. That adorable!
    Thanks for the birthday invite.

    Hope you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! Great job Joy! I call for a weekly edition! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day Joy! I love that you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this story and the adorable pictures of Carter!

    ReplyDelete