Thursday, February 23, 2012

Withdrawn

Tonight we were so blessed to share a wonderful meal as a family. Bradley's friend's mother made us an amazing dinner, complete with a beautiful salad to meet my parents' dietary requests. Honestly, the best part of the dinner was just having all of us together for a meal. Dad did not really talk to any of us, but he enjoyed his food and seemed to be taking it all in.

Yesterday his condition was very poor, but today he has a lot more energy. His abdomen and feet continue to be very swollen which is a sign that his heart is not working properly, and that his liver is also shutting down. A woman who is a grief counselor and a hospice nurse came to our home today. She said that he is most certainly terminal, but that he is not "imminent", meaning days. I believe that we are talking about a week or two maybe.

He spent most of the day watching comedies, but did want to get a short walk in. He is a fighter and I believe will die fighting this disease. He is the strongest man I know and I love him so much. My hope now is that when he does pass, that it will be peacefully and in his sleep. The hospice nurse spoke of some of the things that the body goes through and I really hope that he doesn't have to experience that.

Love to all of you who read this. Cards and phone calls to my mom mean a lot.

1 comment: