Saturday, March 8, 2014

GERD? Yahoo!

After nearly two months of feeling like the medical bubble has all but consumed me, yesterday the doorway to freedom opened.  GERD.  Gastroesophageal reflux disease.  A little look down the esophagus proved to the gastro doc that all of this pressure, burning, shortness of breath, all of it, has been caused by acid coming up into my esophagus and causing little burns.  

Before you go and start thinking I've been crazy, consider this:  Nearly 50% of all people who enter the ER or undergo cardiac care thinking it is cardiac related, are actually experiencing symptoms of GERD.  The running?  Turns out it especially annoys GERD.  The beta blockers?  Turns out they can quiet down the esophagus.  


It all makes sense now.  Along the way I have found that I also have an abnormal electrical pattern in my heart, and a unique left atrium.  Looks like these two findings are merely coincidental, and thank goodness.  You haven't ever met a girl more happy to be diagnosed with GERD.  


As of right now, I am taking a high dosage of Proton Pump Inhibitors to keep the acid down and let the esophagus heal up.  Today I made it into the gym to release some endorphins.  Running and I haven't had a date yet, the burning makes it pretty uncomfortable.  I feel better than I have in a long time, mentally and physically.  


Now accepting GERD acronyms.




No comments:

Post a Comment