Monday, February 23, 2015

Love the Ones You're With

February was only 28 days long this month, but I swear we packed enough into those four weeks to fill a year.  A day short of Valentine's day Miles and I took off for a weekend in New Mexico with my college roomie and her triplets.  Carter was invited along but he has perfect attendance at school and didn't want to miss a day.  I left behind some V-day treats, ensured the frozen food supply, made sure our Amazon Prime credit card info was up to date, and left the boys to fend for themselves.


Miles and I spent a night in Medford, hopped up out of bed at 5am and jumped aboard two planes.  Greeting us in Albuquerque were Kendra and her three beautiful almost two year olds.  Miles was quite the travel companion and did really well all through our visit.  His worst moments came post gummy worms at a yogurt place, and I don't really think that counts.  I wish I was half the mom Kendra is.  Her patience, easygoing nature, and schedule make for parenting genius.  I got to see her husband Micah for a bit and we were both appreciative of the night on the town he provided us with.  It was genuinely heartwarming to watch our friendship pick up right where it left off.  You know you're pretty well off, when the toughest parts of your mini vacay are pushing triplets in one stroller at 6,000 feet on a run.  One hell of a workout.  We were mommy warriors.  We ran, went to the zoo, an aquarium, botanical garden, outdoor mall (with really bad drivers), an REI garage sale (save yourselves), and even out to brunch AT A RESTAURANT.  Olympic distance triathlons have nothing on that business.

Better than the trip itself was the time spent one on one with Miles.  That kid is an AMAZING traveler.  Not only did he get TWO sets of wings, but he never complained, didn't cry once, and enjoyed free rides on my rolling suitcase.

Valentine's Day was spent without my other two true loves, but I was able to love the ones I was with.  The day after we returned I took both boys on a run and bike ride.  Love this view.  .  .

No comments:

Post a Comment