Sunday, April 10, 2016

Snow and Sun

There's something about the start of a spring that finds you switching from ski boots to bikinis.  Or, in the case of Carter snowboard boots to board shorts, and in the case of Miles.  .  . ski boots to a "speedo".  The month of March found us on Mountain Ashland every Friday with our school.  The bonus is that you get to ride with your buddies.  The downside is that mom doesn't get to have a beer with lunch.  My mom joined us for each day up there and we had a blast.







I remember the first time that I felt really "independent".  I drove a pickup truck on my 16th birthday all by myself.  New, open, alone.  I LOVED it!  I think Carter got a similar taste on the mountain.  He and his first grade buddies independently loaded and unloaded the lifts.  By the last day, he took run after run and basically just checked in with me.  The only reason Miles couldn't follow suit is because he's a wee bit short to ride independently.

From the snow to the sand we went.  Luckily, the Easter bunny brought the boys some spiffy new shades, sunblock, and rashguards. Easter was spent with the Isbells and my mom came down.  The boys even got up early and went to sunrise service with me.

The day after Easter we jetted off to Cabo San Lucas for six days in the waves.  The kids learned a lot of important Espanol.  Gracias, Por Favor, Cervesa, Mas Cervesa, Si, and Taco.  That one came quick. We spent time together as a family in the waves, on the beach, in the pool, and at every meal.  It was so blissful to just .  .  .  BE.  Uncle Robert and Russell, along with their worker Luis joined us for a few meals, long drives, a nice afternoon in Todos Santos, and a beautiful cacti filled sunset.

Upon arriving in the US, as much as we wanted to embrace the spirit of our Mexican vacation, it seems we jumped right into the business of life.  T-ball, Farm League, school, and work.  The mountain snow is melting and the rivers are rising.  At least, both boys have shades, rashguards, and maybe a speedo or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment