Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Bunny Visits and Hospice Initiation




Today Miles took his first official steps! Just eight days shy of his 1st birthday! Sadly, I was not there to witness the event - my kids were at Eileen's while I met with hospice, but she is like their second mother so I am blessed that she saw it. At church on Easter Sunday, he held onto the pew, ventured into the aisle and let go - teetering for a moment, but today was the day!

Easter was bittersweet this year. On Friday, I got the boys together with their friends Wyatt and Finn to decorate eggs. I spent awhile getting all of the supplies put together, gathering the eggs, boiling the eggs, only to watch them stay interested for about five minutes. My good friend and I watched the boys frolick in the yard and the play area while we decorated eggs and enjoyed mimosas in the sun. It was so nice to see young boys enjoying the elaborate play area that my dad spent hours creating for Carter and Miles from scratch. It truly warmed my heart to see them enjoying themselves - he would have rejoiced in seeing it.

On Saturday I took the boys up to Ashland to see the Easter Bunny. The whole car ride up was full of speculative questions from Carter concerning various aspects of the bunny. How big was he? Did he talk? What color was he? How did he get there? All decent questions, really from a three year old. Most of them I had to say "I'm not sure". We went to Paddington Station, one of my favorite stores and took a photo with the bunny. Carter was super stoked, but Miles was less than excited. The store is supposed to email the photos later. Carter also got to decorate some Easter cookies and complete a craft. On Sunday we did an egg hunt at the house and then accompanied my mom to church. Bradley stayed with dad. After church we went to my mother-in-law's for a wonderful Easter meal. The house was decorated straight out of Pottery Barn, and the meal was wonderful. It was sad not having my parents there, they were missed by many.

Today the hospice nurse came out and dad signed the papers! He admitted to being uncomfortable. He is taking Percocet right now, but the nurses are brining morphine tomorrow. My mom will make a "slurry" of it and give it to him in liquid form. It will be easier for him to digest that way. Dad was very open with the nurse and accepting of the fact that she wanted him to make choices to make himself more comfortable. He also gets to have more massages with hospice! It is truly a wonderful program. I think my mom feels a huge sense of relief and I know that dad is able to get more rest.

Thank you for continued support, prayers, and positive energy. We all need it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment