Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Miles!



Last night dad had a rough night. Mom described his use of the new remote on his hospital bed "like a kid with a new videogame". She was exhausted today. I arrived early so she could go to her exercise class. Dad can only walk a few steps by himself, he can not at all lift his own legs up or down any sort of incline, really anything that is more than a shuffle. It is teamwork to make it to the toilet and back, but amazing that he can still do it. His thoughts are very incoherent and the first answer to every questions is an adamant "NO!".

His hospital bed is very uncomfortable for him, so I went to Yreka and got a 2.5 inch foam mattress topper and a fitted sheet that is meant for that kind of XL twin bed. It took me almost two hours of persuading him to let me put it on for him. Bradley assisted him in a bathroom trip and a change of clothes, while I worked some magic. It seemed to help a little bit, but the true part of the discomfort lies in his inability to remember which buttons to push to move what body part - all magnified by a 60 second delay in thought processing.

I was able to give mom time to take a nap this afternoon. Very reminiscent of her coming over to watch my kids so that I could get a nap in when the boys were both newborns.

Miles had his cake pops with his buddies today and that was a lot of fun. I think Carter was more excited for his birthday than he was. We had dinner and then Carter helped him open a few gifts. It was a perfect 1st year dose of birthday. Hopefully we'll still be able to have our celebration on Sunday.

Vanessa is flying home tonight because we all know that "it is upon us". Love to all of you who keep us in your thoughts and prayers daily.

1 comment:

  1. Joy -

    I just happened upon this today. This is such a tough time for you and your young family. We are thinking of you and Carol and Terry.

    Love,
    Cynthia, Dan, Katherine and Michael

    ReplyDelete