Thursday, April 5, 2012

This week. . .



This week started off with dad getting two teeth extracted at the dentist. I know what you're all thinking: What the fu**?? Believe me, we were thinking that too, but despite all of the lying that mom did to convince dad to not go to the dentist, he repeatedly insisted. It took boatloads of strength and determination for him to ride in the car for 1.5 hours, sit in the dentist chair for 2 hours, and then another 1.5 hours in the car. This is all from a man who has not left his home for four weeks. The dentist is a very good dentist, and dad did have two very infected teeth. The good news is that the dentist gave him a VERY strong painkiller and now dad is taking that around the clock, which is allowing him to sleep a lot more. I really don't know how dad made the trip, we could compare it to an 85 year old woman running a marathon after only walking 100 yards.

The ascites in the stomach is causing him to not be able to eat or drink hardly anything because it just wants to come right up. Even a swallow of water can make it seem as if he is going to vomit. His thought processes and talking are very slow, but still "with it", but oftentimes he does seem to be very "off ". He spends the day either in bed, or in his recliner and is not strong enough to push the chair in with his legs. I would estimate his weight to be around 85 pounds. His energy levels are extremely low, but he can still direct. Today he was concerned that Fred his dog was getting tangled in things on the back porch and told me everything that needed to be moved. I spent most of the day doing outside projects for my parents.

Earlier this week my mom and I questioned whether he would make it to Easter. He could go at any time, but he is a stubborn and a strong old bird. I enjoyed visiting with him today and listening to a couple of stories. When he told the stories he closed his eyes, took his time, and described things with a lot of detail. This is off-topic, but it was brought to my attention this week that oftentimes people who are close to death want to have their body "perfect", which would explain his insistence on having his teeth fixed.

Anywho - here are a couple of stories that dad told to me today:

Dad used to lay carpet as an independent contractor in southern CA. One day he and a guy named Steve were finishing up a job. They were in the bedroom and my dad recalls that they had finished but there was oddly one "bump" left in the room. Steve instructed my dad to just take a rubber mallet to the bump. My dad said that he hit the bump about 10-15 times and it went away. Just as it disappeared the woman who owned the house knocked on the door, entered and asked both men, "Have you seen my parakeet?" Dad says that they looked at each other and both replied, "No ma'am". She left the room and they took to tearing up the carpet, like pigs to a trough. They tore up the carpet and luckily it was just a lump of carpet padding. Dad thinks she found the parakeet under a bed in the house.

Another story that dad told me today was one I had never head. Another job he had after the service was one where he worked at an auto body detailing shop. He described his job as one in which he was the middle man between the shop guys and the office staff. The man who owned the shop was actually one of the leaders of the Hare Krishnas in SoCal at the time and dad later found out that he was actually in the witness relocation program. I know - too good to be true right? Anyways, dad says that the drug use in this shop was just crazy and that everyone knew about it except the little old lady who was the "face" of the place, the secretary at the front. In fact, the owner would to go India once a month and bring back a bunch of "smack" to fund the local temple. One day, one of the shop guys brought in a bunch of pot brownies. Dad says that everyone had one, knowing what they were and that somehow the plate ended up in the front office. The lady at the front wanted one and Dad tried to convince her it wasn't a good idea. Anyways, she had the brownie and then about 15 minute later she was in hysterics telling everyone to dial 911 because she thought she was having a heart attack. No one had the "balls" to tell her what was really happening, and dad happened to be the guy elected to do so. Dad says that she got extremely angry with dad and she actually quit the next day.

It was nice to just sit with him and listen to some stories today. Some I had heard before, some I had never heard of, but it was just nice to visit. Yesterday when I was over he just kept telling me I was "amazing" and a "wonder". The day before when we made our trip to the dentist, something I felt in my gut wasn't right, but knew it was what HE WANTED he must have thanked me 20 times for taking him. Life is just so strange and often intangible. I have been blessed to know him for 27 years, but often know that I don't know that much of him. Your parents were someone before you became the center of their lives. They have history and experiences that have shaped them and ultimately you. I have posted these photos as reminders of this revelation. This was a photo of dad, his sister, mom and step dad. The other photo is of he and his sisters.

Love you daddy!

1 comment:

  1. I love that parakeet story. It's great that you can share this time, and these stories, with him.

    ReplyDelete